Before a farmer plants his crop he must decide how and when to till his fields. Tilling or tillage means to prepare the soil and make a good seed bed in which to plant the seed. Tillage normally begins after the last crop is harvested. … He may also put out fertilizer, or plant food, that will help the crop grow.
What are the steps to harvest?
- Reaping – cutting the mature panicles and straw above ground.
- Threshing – separating the paddy grain from the rest of cut crop.
- Cleaning – removing immature, unfilled, non-grain materials.
- Hauling – moving the cut crop to the threshing location.
What are the steps of a farmer?
A farmer performs following eight major steps from crop selection to harvesting:
- Crop Selection.
- Land Preparation.
- Seed Selection.
- Seed Sowing.
- Crop Growth.
What do farmers do at harvest time?
After harvest, farmers might work stalks into the ground, chop them for livestock, let cattle graze them in the field or leave them completely undisturbed, allowing corn residue to cover the field. Many farmers are turning toward reducing tillage to build soil organic matter and promote water quality.
What do farmers do before planting new crops?
After deciding what to grow, farmers often till the land by loosening the soil and mixing in fertilizers, which are nutrient rich. Then, they sow seeds or plant seedlings. When the crops are growing, farmers must water (or rely on rainfall), weed and kill crop pests.
How do farmers harvest?
Harvesting is the process of gathering a ripe crop from the fields. Reaping is the cutting of grain or pulse for harvest, typically using a scythe, sickle, or reaper. On smaller farms with minimal mechanization, harvesting is the most labor-intensive activity of the growing season.
How do you prepare for harvest?
5 Tips to Prepare for Harvest
- Know Your Crops and Make a Plan. Make a rough outline of the crops and varieties you grew this year. …
- Prepare Your Equipment. Likely the most obvious tip on our list, but quite possibly the most important. …
- Keep it Clean. …
- Keep Equipment Clean Too. …
- Diagnose and Document Problems Right Away.
How do farmers grow crops step by step?
Agriculture & Agricultural Practices
- Soil preparation. Before raising a crop, the soil in which it is to be grown is prepared by ploughing, levelling, and manuring. …
- Sowing. Selection of seeds of good quality crop strains is the primary stage of sowing. …
- Manuring. …
- Irrigation. …
- Weeding. …
- Harvesting. …
What are the 5 steps in land preparation?
It typically involves (1) plowing to “till” or dig-up, mix, and overturn the soil; (2) harrowing to break the soil clods into smaller mass and incorporate plant residue, and (3) leveling the field. Initial land preparation begins after your last harvest or during fallow period.
Do you cultivate after harvesting?
You will have to cultivate the field, then replant your crop. Sowers do not require the field to be cultivated, though.
Why is harvesting done in dry season?
Heavy rainfall in the wet season, indicates water cannot fully conserved in the soil and some surface water lost as a runoff. … The harvesting runoff on dry land can increase cropping intensity from one to three times of planting per year.
What do farmers do in the winter?
Farmers use the winter months to attend to the bookkeeping part of the job. This includes taxes, land leases, meeting with seed dealers and shop for possible new equipment. It is also a good time to clean and fix the equipment.
What should we do before planting?
10 things to do before planting your garden
- Clean out debris. Remove any leftover winter debris. …
- Repair damaged beds. This will be the third growing season at My Urban Farmscape. …
- Lift and loosen soil. The best way to do this is with a broadfork. …
- Create your walking paths. …
- Inventory garden tools. …
- Make trellises.
What should you do before planting?
Be sure all plant material is turned under the soil. If organic material is added before planting a fall garden, it should be well-rotted, such as compost. Before planting, rake the soil clean and level it. Remove all sticks, rocks and other material.
What should I do before sowing?
How to Manage Pre-sowing Fertilization?
- Broadcasting; uniform application of fertilizers throughout the entire soil surface (manually or with the use of machinery).
- Banding; application of fertilizers in bands (rows) before the sowing or planting, done mostly with the use of machinery.